Types of Visas in Nigeria


It would interest you to know that there are different types of visas in Nigeria. They serve different purposes and depending on their type, vary when it comes to duration and functions. In this article, we shall explore the types of visas issues by the Nigerian government and every other interesting details attached to each of the visas.

Prior to traveling to Nigeria for any reason, a foreign national or a Nigerian by birth who has renounced their nationality must first obtain a Nigerian visa that is appropriate for their specific situation. Nigerian diplomatic missions and established Visa Application Centers can process and issue the following types of visas: Short Visit Visa, Temporary Residence Visa, and Permanent Residence Visa (VAC). The many visa categories in Nigeria will be covered in this article. Here are the types of visas issued by the Nigerian government for foreign nationals who intend to visit Nigeria for one reason or another.

1. Short-Visit Visa

Foreign nationals must apply for a short visit visa at the Nigerian embassy, high commission, or consulate that is the most convenient to their place of residency if their trip to Nigeria won’t last longer than three months (90 days). Depending on the objective of the trip, this sort of visa may allow for a single or several entries.

The several categories of quick trips that call for short visit visas are listed in the following table, along with the relevant visa codes:

Purpose of TravelVisa Code
Diplomatic Visa (Non-accredited)F2A
TransitF3 (F3A, F3B)
BusinessF4 ( F4A, F4B, F4C)
VisitingF6 (F6A, F6B)
Medical TourismF7C
Religious TourismF7D
Sports VisaF7E
Artist/Entertainer/Musician VisaF7F
Study TourF7G
Academic Exchange ProgrammeF7H
International Cultural Exchange VisaF7I
Humanitarian Services VisaF7J
Emergency/Relief Work VisaF7K
Staff of INGO VisaF7L
Staff of NGO VisaF7M
Temporary Work PermitReturning holders of other national Passports who are Nigerians by BirthF8AF9A

a. Diplomatic Visa (Non-accredited)

Non-accredited diplomats traveling to Nigeria on official business may apply for the F2A visa, which is good for a single entrance and a brief visit. The F2A visa can be used by visiting foreign officials that are not connected to Nigeria or by foreign government officials traveling to Nigeria on official business. They could be visiting diplomats, visiting dignitaries, visiting security officers on official business, and other temporary diplomats serving a brief tour of duty inside the embassy such staff, attaches, and security. There are a few requirements to follow after the aforementioned class of non-accredited diplomats receive their F2A Visa and travel to Nigeria. The allowed 90 days shouldn’t be surpassed, and while temporary workers like embassy employees are allowed to work there temporarily, they must do so within those 90 days. Other non-accredited diplomats are not permitted to work in Nigeria with the F2A Visa.

b. Transit Visa

There are two types of transit visas: transit without a visa (F3A) and transit visa (F3B). The F3A is for direct transit travelers and crew members on international flights and seagoing vessels who won’t spend more than 48 hours in Nigeria. These travelers must have appropriate travel documentation and onward tickets but are exempt from visa requirements. Within the 48 hours they would be in Nigeria, they are not allowed to leave the airport or seaport. On the other hand, the F3B, or Transit Visa, enables travelers in transit and crew members of foreign planes and ships to enter Nigeria before continuing their journey.

c. Business Visa

The Business Visa, F4, has three separate categories: F4B (multiple-entry business visa), F4A (single-entry business visa),  and F4C. ( frequently traveled executive visa). Foreign nationals visiting Nigeria for brief business purposes, such as conferences, meetings, contract negotiations, seminars, and other similar events, are given the F4A.

The F4B Visa (multiple entrance business visas) is offered to nationals of nations that permit Nigerians to make numerous entries for business. Therefore, within two years of receiving their F4B visas, citizens of those nations may travel often for brief business trips to Nigeria. However, the maximum time for a single business trip to Nigeria is 90 days. Foreign nationals are not allowed to work in Nigeria while on the F4B Visa.

The F4C business visa is available to individuals of international renown who have made direct investments in Nigeria totaling at least $250,000. Multiple entry into Nigeria are permitted throughout the 90-day term that the F4C permits.

d. Tourism Visa

For foreign nationals traveling to Nigeria for tourism, a single entry visa known as the tourism visa (F5A) is given. Foreigners are allowed to enter Nigeria under F5A for a 30-day stay, but they shouldn’t utilize it to look for employment.

e. Visiting Visa

There are two types of visiting visas (F6): single-entry visiting visas (F6A) and multiple-entry visiting visas (F6B). Foreign nationals who want to visit friends and family in Nigeria on social visits might use the former option. The F6A is a single entry visa, and a 90-day stay in Nigeria is permitted. To visit friends or relatives in Nigeria, however, overseas nationals can apply for the F6B multiple-entry Visiting Visa. The F6B can only be awarded to inhabitants of nations that likewise let Nigerians to go back and forth several times to see family and friends.

f. Journalist Visa

Foreign nationals visiting Nigeria on a single-entry, brief visit visa for media and journalistic purposes are granted the Journalist Visa (F7A). Only 30 days are allotted for this stay in Nigeria.

g. Cleric Visa

Cleric Visas (F7B) are exclusively given out to international clerics who want to travel to Nigeria to conduct religious activities including sermons and conferences. The maximum time that a person may stay in Nigeria with this visa is 90 days, and it only allows for one entry.

h. Medical Tourism Visa

For foreign people traveling to Nigeria for medical treatment and those accompanying medical patients, the Medical Tourism Visa (F7C) is a single-entry short visit visa (s). Only a 90-day stay in Nigeria is allowed for visitors with this visa.

i. Religious Tourism Visa

The Religious Tourism Visa (F7D) is given to religious devotees, devout, or followers who want to travel to Nigeria to participate in religious events, programs, or activities. The F7D is a single-entry visa that only allows visitors from other countries to stay for 90 days. Such people are not permitted to look for employment in Nigeria during this time.

j. Sports Visa

Foreign nationals visiting Nigeria for athletic events are given the Sports Visa, FZE, a single-entry short visit visa. Sportsmen and women, sports authorities, and organized sports supporters clubs are also eligible candidates for the FZE. Visitors from abroad are only allowed to stay in Nigeria for 90 days with a sports visa.

k. Artiste/Entertainer/Musician Visa

Foreign artists, actresses, comedians, dancers, disc jockeys, models, video vixens, and entertainers who are traveling to Nigeria to perform as artists, entertainers, or musicians are granted the Artiste/Entertainer/Musician Visa (F7F). This visa only permits one entry.

l. Nigerian Study Tour Visa

Students, researchers, and course participants from other nations who wish to visit Nigeria on a study tour may apply for the Nigerian Study Tour Visa (F7G). It is a single-entry visa that allows the holder to stay in Nigeria for 90 days; however, it does not allow work or study while they are there.

m. Academy Exchange Programme Visa

The Academic Exchange Programme Visa (F7H), which is given to foreign citizens visiting Nigeria for academic exchange programs, is another sort of Short Visit Visa. This visa allows for a single entry and a stay of up to 90 days.

n. International Cultural Exchange Visa

Foreign nationals visiting Nigeria for cultural exchange purposes are typically granted an international cultural exchange visa (F7I), a form of short stay visa. The F7I’s allowed stay is 90 days, just like other Short Visit Visas.

o. Humanitarian Services Visa

Foreign aid workers wishing to travel to Nigeria to provide humanitarian services may do so with a Humanitarian Services Visa (F7J). This visa only permits one entry.

p. Emergency/Relief Visa

Emergency and Relief personnel visiting the country for relief or emergency work may apply for an Emergency/Relief Visa (F7K), which is a single-entry visa.

q. Staff of International Non-Governmental Organizations Visa

Staff of International Non-Governmental Organizations Visas (F7L) are a type of SVV given to INGOs’ staff members who wish to go to Nigeria to offer INGO services.

A single-entry visa known as the staff of Non-Governmental Organization (F7M) is given to NGOs’ staff members who wish to go to Nigeria to perform NGO services.

A Temporary Work Permit Visa (F8A) is a one-entry visa given to foreign professionals who have been asked by corporate organizations to deliver skilled services in Nigeria for a limited time.

The Returning Holders of Other National Passports who are Nigerians by Birth Visa (F9A) is a type of SVV given to “Nigerians by Birth” who possess National Passports of other nations but are visiting Nigeria with the other National Passport for either business or social reasons. This F9A may allow a single entry or numerous entries, depending on the nation the “Nigerian by Birth” is residing in.

2. Temporary Residence Visa

The below table lists the several categories of Temporary Residence Visas in Nigeria:

Purpose of TravelCourse Code
Temporary Work (6 months)R11
Accredited Diplomat, Accompanying spouse and DependantsR1 (R1A, R1B, R1C, R1D, R1E)
Employment (Expatriate), Accompanying spouse and DependantsR2 (R2A, R2B, R2C, R2D, R2E)
Employment (Expatriate – Free Zone), Accompanying spouse and DependantsR3 (R3A, R3B, R3C, R3D, R3E)
Employment – Expatriate ( Government Official), Accompanying spouse and DependantsR4 (R4A, R4B, R4C, R4D, R4E)
Employment (INGO), Accompanying spouse and DependantsR5 (R5A, R5B, R5C, R5D, R5E)
Employment (Cleric), Accompanying spouse and DependantsR6 (R6A, R6B, R6C, R6D, R6E)
Student and Accompanying SpouseR7 (R7A, R7B)
Academic Exchange Programme and Accompanying SpouseR8 (R8A, R8B)

3. Permanent Residence Visa

The below table lists the several categories of Permanent Residence Visas in Nigeria:

Purpose of TravelVisa Code
Spouse of Nigerian CitizensN1A
Nigerian by Birth who Renounced Nigerian CitizenshipN2A
Spouse of ‘Nigerians by Birth’ who Renounced Nigerian CitizenshipN2B
InvestorsN3 (N3A, N3B, N3C, N3D, N3E)
Highly Skilled ImmigrantN4A
Retirement VisaN5 (N5A, N5B)
Accompanying Spouse and Dependants of Permanent ResidentN6 (N6A, N6B, N6C, N6D)

A legally married partner of a Nigerian citizen typically receives a N1A visa, also known as the Partner of Nigerian Citizen Visa. This visa allows for numerous entries, and the stay is indefinite. Employment of the N1A is not permitted.

The N2A Visa is a type of PRV given to Nigerians who have given up their nationality yet want to live permanently in Nigeria. However, the validity of the passport is a condition of the residency permit.

Foreign nationals who are officially married to “Nigerians by Birth” who have relinquished their Nigerian citizenship are granted the N2B Visa under the PRV category. It is a multiple-entry visa, and as long as the spouse’s passport is still valid, the stay is indefinite. In Nigeria, the N2B is not allowed for employment.

A special kind of visa known as the Investors Visa (N3A, N3B, N3C, N3D, N3E) is given to investors who have made direct investments in Nigeria for at least five years. These investors might have direct holdings in small-, medium-, large-, ultra-, and small-scale businesses, as well as the power and oil industries.

Foreign people with highly trained knowledge, abilities, and skills are granted the N4A, also known as the Highly Skilled Immigrant Visa, to fill gaps in the Nigerian economy. As long as their passport is current, those with this kind of visa are able to work and live permanently in Nigeria.

Foreign nationals who seek to retire in Nigeria following active service are granted the N5 Visa (Retirement Visa), a class of PRV. Foreign nationals who have worked in Nigeria for 20 years and are 65 years of age or older and choose to continue living there after retirement are granted the N5A. A two-year residence permit that is renewable may be issued with the N5A Visa. On the other hand, international retirees who are 65 years of age or older and want to live in Nigeria after their active service overseas are given the N5B.

The spouses and dependents of investors, highly skilled immigrants, and retirees who seek to live in Nigeria are granted the N6(A-D) Visa, which stands for Accompanying Spouse and Dependants of Permanent Residents.

You might also like
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.